Friday, March 22, 2013

Striving with the Spirit

"For the Spirit of the Lord will not always strive with man. And when the Spirit ceaseth to strive with man then cometh speedy destruction, and this grieveth my soul." 2 Nephi 26:11

I was reading this scripture tonight in my nightly reading of the Book of Mormon. Now a lot of people will take it at face value to mean that when we don't have the Spirit of the Lord (or the Holy Ghost) we will sin and be destroyed. However, the word STRIVE struck my attention and gave me a deeper appreciation for this scripture. 


Strive, in the first definition does mean to put an effort out. The Spirit won't always try to be with us. But the second meaning is what caught my attention. Strive can also mean contend or fight with. Now I'm not saying that the Holy Ghost is a violent being. 


It means that His presence can't be felt when it is in contention with the natural man. "The natural man is an enemy to God." (Mosiah 3:7) He is not going to strive to be heard if we are too involved in sin. 

So readers, if there is anything in your life that the Holy Ghost could be contending against, I urge you to change it now. He wants to bless you and He can't do that if He has to shout his way to the top. The Spirit is a still, small voice that whisper's words of peace and love to our hearts. He will direct us by small daily promptings every day. 


I know that the Holy Ghost can influence us if we let Him. We have to be doing what is right and keeping out the natural man for Him to make a difference. I know this church is true. 


Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment